photo by JODIE BRIM CREATIVE
If anyone can take a little of the pain out of moving, it’s Amy Cushman Jah and her amazing team at American Moving and Hauling. While they are located in Winston-Salem, the company will travel up to 1,000 miles in any direction, always going above and beyond to smooth what can be a stressful endeavor.
Over the past 17 years, the business has grown from two guys with rental trucks, to a current staff of 31, a fleet of 10 trucks, and a pack van! American Moving and Hauling should be your go-to for full-service moving, along with local and long-distance packing services. They can also handle junk removal, auto transport, and storage!
Through the years, Amy and her team have perfected the finer points of a successful move — and they are sharing that wisdom here!
- Before you pack — anything — PURGE! Clean out those attics, garages, and closets, and de-clutter everything you don’t want to take to your new home. It makes a huge “mental” difference and also saves you tons of money on your move!
- Once you start packing, tackle the easiest and most unused rooms first. This creates a snowball effect and gets you on a roll! Remember to finish one room or area completely before moving onto the next, otherwise, that giant mess can be overwhelming.
- Licensed moving companies cannot transport flammable or dangerous materials and liquids. So gather all flammable liquids, open liquids, cleaning products, lightbulbs, ammunition, and gas containers, and prepare them for transport yourself. If you are unable to transport these to your new place, consider donating or discarding them appropriately. Also, drain all gas from mowers, weed-eaters, generators, etc.
- Pack it all! Or, if you don’t want to pack it, call American Moving and Hauling! Everything that can fit in a box must be packed. That includes items such as lamps, pictures, small appliances, electronics, speakers, small garage tools, and yard tools you may think are too awkward to fit in a box. But your movers can’t transport “loose” items for liability reasons. Yes, that includes clothing!
- Consider your furry friends! Make arrangements for your pets during the moving process. It’s best to board your animals if possible, but if not, please have them in crates, or confined to one area of the house. Having pets out and about during the moving process creates an unsafe environment for both your pets and the movers. We want to keep everyone safe, and that includes your four-legged friends.
- Please try to keep all boxes under 75 pounds. Use smaller boxes for heavier items such as books, and larger boxes for lightweight items such as blankets, linens, and towels.
- Pack dishes, fine china, glasses, and other delicate décor in newsprint or bubble wrap, and in “dish packs” that are large, double-walled, and sturdy. Remember to mark these boxes fragile and label them with bold stickers!
- Please label all boxes so that we can place them in the correct rooms of your new home.
- It’s important to put anything you don’t want the movers to pack in one specific area of the house, then let your crew leader and other movers know not to transport these items. (Labeling is also helpful to avoid any mix-ups!)
- When gathering and comparing moving quotes, look at each estimate carefully. Make sure they are offering the same services, that everything is included on each estimate, that each company is licensed, insured, and has a good reputation. “There are lots of rogue movers out here with little experience and no insurance coverage!” says Amy. “Please do your due diligence to make sure you and your family are protected!”
It’s clear Amy and her team love helping people, the personal satisfaction of a job well done, and seeing happy customers!
American Moving and Hauling is located at 535 East Clemmonsville Road, Suite D, Winston-Salem, NC. For more information on their services, call 336-765-3499 or visit americanmovingandhauling.com. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., and packing materials are available for purchase at the office.